The BlueCrest Recovery Center provides resources, treatment, and tools for veterans and their families to overcome addiction.
Veterans and Addiction: The Facts
- 4% of veterans in treatment abuse alcohol, opposed to 37.4% for nonveterans.
- 53% of veterans who are recently deployed engaged in binge drinking.
- 22% of veterans suffer from either PTSD or major depression.
- 34% of veterans suffer from some form of mental illness.
- Only 1 out of every 3 veterans who abuse substances end up seeking help.
- 1 in 10 veterans has a substance abuse disorder, opposed to 1 in 13 civilians.
- Veterans with PTSD are 3x more likely to be prescribed opioid painkillers.
- 30% of military suicides are preceded by alcohol and/or drug abuse.
- The suicide rate for veterans is 1.5x higher than it is for nonveterans.
- Veterans make up about 10% of all US citizens. One in five suicides is a veteran.
- Almost 30% of veterans with PTSD also have a substance abuse disorder.
- Nearly three of every four veterans report symptoms that could lead to insomnia.
- One in four veterans seeking treatment are homeless.
If you find yourself personally affected and related to any of what you’ve just learned, or if there’s someone you love who comes to mind, now is the time to reach out for help. Check out these 2 blogs for advice: “Addiction Resources for Veterans” and “How to Build a Sober Support Network.”