McClatchy is a digitally driven company focused on innovation, with newsrooms in 30 communities in the United States. Their journalism focuses on our local communities, and in that role we have the ability to spotlight problems, highlight solutions and truly make a difference — all the reasons you got into journalism. McClatchy and MVJ are seeking five fellows for the new McClatchy Veterans in Journalism Fellowship Program. Please note: you must be logged in on Google to apply.
Here are some key features of the program:
- This opportunity is available to military veterans who are interested in pursuing a career in one of McClatchy’s local newsrooms – as a written journalist, multimedia reporter, photojournalist, digital designer, or human resources personnel.
- Fellowship recipients will participate in a six-month full-time fellowship.
- Fellows are eligible to join McClatchy’s benefits plan after two months of time in-fellowship. Fellows will remain eligible for the remainder of their fellowship.
- Recipients must agree to be available for the fellowship’s six months as well as commit to working for McClatchy for one full year upon completion if selected to continue employment. Every effort will be made to provide the fellowship and job in the applicant’s area of interest.
McClatchy Veterans in Journalism Fellows can expect to:
- Be assigned to a mentor from MVJ during the fellowship period.
- Receive coaching and mentoring both from newsroom teams and from MVJ.
- Work with seasoned staffers and work directly with local leaders.
- Work on projects that help solve recurring problems and improve McClatchy’s business.
- Develop and refine professional skills for success in the journalism field.
Successful candidates should meet many, though not necessarily all, of the following requirements:
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- 1-3 years of reporting experience or equivalent
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required.
- Strong writing skills, excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers.
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Ability to build source networks and bring a constant flow of story ideas.
- Ability to work collaboratively to aggressively tackle stories.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
What we’ll bring: As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, McClatchy’s package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
McClatchy’s overall benefit package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy’s benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.