Military Veterans in Journalism is making a big change to give our members the opportunity to have a direct impact on the future of our organization. The MVJ team is opening a seat on our Board exclusively for a member of our community. Our team values the unique perspectives, experiences and commitments to journalism our members display, and we believe they are the best candidates to help us guide and shape the future of the organization that serves them.
MVJ Membership Voice Board Member Seat Expectations
MVJ’s Board members play a vital role in providing first-hand insights to improve the organization while serving as representatives of our community. By setting aside a Board seat for one of our members, we aim to enhance our team’s understanding of areas for improvement and determine the best path forward for MVJ with regard to supporting our membership. Each member in this Board role will have a term of two years, providing an opportunity for long-term commitment and impact within our community.
Each individual Board member is expected to:
- Possess a comprehensive knowledge of MVJ’s mission, policies, programs, and organizational areas of need.
- Diligently read and comprehend the organization’s financial statements.
- Act as an active advocate and ambassador for MVJ, fully engaging in identifying and securing the necessary financial resources and partnerships to advance its mission.
- Utilize personal connections, networks, and resources to foster collective action that enables the organization to fully achieve its mission.
- Assist in identifying personal connections that can contribute to MVJ’s fundraising efforts and enhance its reputation.
- Prepare for, attend, and actively participate in Board meetings.
- Fully participate in one or more Board committees.
- Adhere to the organization’s bylaws, policies, and Board resolutions.
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding all of MVJ’s internal matters.
Board members will be expected to contribute in at least one of the following ways: a) providing financial support, b) securing donations, or c) offering their time and expertise in various operational aspects of the organization.
As MVJ’s highest leadership body, the Board has the following responsibilities to fulfill its fiduciary duties:
- Help shape the mission and purposes of the organization.
- Select and evaluate the performance of the chief executive.
- Engage in strategic and organizational planning.
- Ensure strong fiduciary oversight and financial management.
- Facilitate fundraising and resource development.
- Enhance the organization’s public image.
- Assess its own performance as the governing body of the organization.
Any communication with outside organizations regarding MVJ will be coordinated with MVJ leadership to ensure consistency and alignment with our goals and objectives.
We invite you to seize this incredible opportunity to be part of our passionate team driving positive change in the media industry for military veterans. Thank you for your ongoing support and dedication to MVJ.